From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:48:36 EDT
In a message dated 8/4/99 6:16:13 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<Has anyone else seen a mite population drop? Could this be heat related? It
has been very hot down here. Mites can dry out and die if conditions are
right, but I do not think that this level would be the case.>>

Where exactly are you located? Most of the United States have been suffering
under a heat wave. Are there any studies or research to indicate a
correlation between hot seasons and diminishing varroa population --
independent of peaks or dips in the bee population. What research I've read
seems to show that varroa mite population crashes are directly related to the
prevalence -- or lack thereof -- bee colonies, both feral and managed.

John