From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:54:36 +0000
"That said, cleanliness is next to godliness, and I'll bet that those beekeepers who take the time to scrub their hive tools a couple of hundred times a day have much cleaner fingernails than do I."

I just flame my hive tool with a torch.  No scrubbing involved.  Do it between yards.

Most beeks who focus on hygenic issues (like myself) are probably low-volume sideliners or hobbyists who don't truck our bees.  We often/usually have very interesting honey that can sell for top dollar relative to you high-volume commercials who generally don't have the time to take proper care to sort out varietals, never mind making the time required to extract only from fully-capped combs.  Bees, and honey flavors, are better ($$$ wise, per hive) when there is a focus on "small" and "local".  Just my own view.

I am an avid collector of varietals from everywhere.

BTW, I'd love to get some sourwood honey for my collection.  Anyone know where I can buy a little?

Christina
-- ?