From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 1995 07:51:05 -0600
On Fri, 19 May 1995, Jean-Marie Van Dyck wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 1995, Jean-Marie Van Dyck wrote:
>
> >    a/ if you don't open the bee ports : the cell temperature is not quite OK
> >       because a lack of bees on the cell.
>
> On Thu, 18 May 1995 22:21:33 +0100 Allen Dick answered :
>
> > I would have thought that the temperature would be pretty constant
> > through the whole brood area, or incubator.  I can see how the queen
> > might have trouble breathing thru the cell walls though, with a plastic
> > tube around the cell.
>
> Hi Allen !
>
> Ok the temp. is constant in an incubator with blower but in the hive,
> the bees take care of the temperature throught the brood.
>
> 1/ I don't know how they do this but I remember an article (I don't
> have time to find author and ref) speaking about an extremely specific
> chemical (1,2-DIOLEYL-3-PALMITOYL-rac- GLYCEROL) secreted by the pupa
> (workers, drones and *queens*) through the capping wax.  This chemical
> (and only this) causes the bees are running on the brood : they ran a
> lot on false queen cells treated with the chemical ! Maybe this is the
> signal to keep high temp. through the brood ?

Could be.

> 2/ I don't know which *weather* you have today in Alberta but here in
> Belgium, today, with a lot of queen cells in all stages, we have had
> 2-5 degC tonight and 11-15 C afternoon with very cold north wind.

Exactly the same weather here!

>  We
> must be sure the queen cells are in good condition. So I don't like to
> separate cells from the bees and I'm only using protectors when
> necessary (the last day when I put them in the nucs but not always)

We either use an incubator, or keep the cells with the bees.  The bees
keep the temperaturte more constant -  within one half degree Celcius.

We always use protectors when we store in the hive.

> Hope this move the discussion ahead ? (french speaking ... Is this correct?)
Yup, your English is good.

> PS.  I would like to see your JZBZ protectors.

Send me your address by email, and I'll send you one of each.  They only
cost pennies and are re-useable.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka