From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:54:50 -0500

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Unapproved Mite Treatments (2)
>   2. Waxworm ?culture?
>   3. "B address"
>   4. <No subject given>
>   5. Pseudomessage
>   6. Specific value of honeybees for crop pollination
>   7. beginner in MD
>   8. Tubing feeders

> Date:    Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:39:31 CST
> From:    Vladimir Ptacek <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Unapproved Mite Treatments
>
> On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 03:57:36 -0800, John Caldeira wrote:
>
> >Are Mavrik, Spur and other forms of fluvalinate, or formic acid, commonly
> >used to treat varroa-infested hives in the U.S.?  I realize these treatments
> >are not currently approved for use with bees in the U.S., but does the cost
> >difference between Apistan and these unapproved treatments provide a strong
> >temptation for commercial beekeepers?
> >
> >How widespread is the use of unapproved treatments?  Would appreciate
> >learning from any speculation and/or knowledge on this.
> >
> >Public or private E-mail.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >John Caldeira
> >
> >John Caldeira
> >Dallas, Texas
>
> Here, in the Czech Republic we never used Apistan to control Varroas, and
> after more than 10 years of their presence in the coutry we still have
> nearly the same level of colony numbers. An effective complex of different
> methods has been applied with the aim to use as little chemicals
> as possible.
> Those of you interested in details write dirrectly to the
> Institute for Beekeeping at Dol,
> 252 66 Libcice n. Vlt.,
>        Czech Republic
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Ptacek
> Fac. Sci., Dpt. Anim. Physiol.        E.mail: [log in to unmask]
> Masaryk University                    phone:  .42/5/41129 562
> 611 37 Brno, Czech Republic           fax:    .42/5/41211 214
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 29 Jan 1996 07:49:17 -0500
> From:    Ray Lackey <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Waxworm ?culture?
>
> I never thought I'd need it but now someone has asked.  I remember
> culture methods being discussed a few months back.  Can someone point
> me to the particular month's log or send the info direct if you have
> saved a file of just that info and have it available.  I need to look
> into search engines to scan the log files.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> +    Raymond J. Lackey, EAS Master Beekeeper, VP LIBA      +
> +    Twelve years exper with 25 colonies on Long Island, NY+
> +    INTERNET: [log in to unmask]                       +
> +    Mail: 1260 Walnut Avenue, Bohemia NY 11617-2176       +
> +    Home Phone: 516-567-1936  FAX: 516-262-8053           +
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> Date:    Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:24:14 +0100
> [...]
REPLY.  The same principle, I think, that keeps the Boardman entrance
feeder from emptying into the hive: the creation of a vacuum-- unless the
size of the different holes involved is critical? PS BTW, I'm a philosopher and
not a physicist.  Jack the B-man
   John Iannuzzi PhD            * "Singing masons building roofs
   9772 Old Annapolis Rd        *  of gold."       --Shakespeare
   Ellicott City MD 21042 usa   *  20 Italian colonies
   [log in to unmask]   *  3-1/2 decades in beedom