Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:03:55 -0500

> When I defend OTC, and claim a cure, I should explain that we
> run up to 4,500
> hives and could not find *any* AFB this fall.  We offered a
> generous cash reward
> to our staff for any AFB and no one claimed it, although they
> did find some
> interesting combs.  I know for a fact that some of the hives
> we run had a
> serious history of AFB a decade or more ago. We medicate once
> a year in the
> spring using OTC extender patties made according to the
> Wilson  formula.  We
> melt any AFB or scale we find and re-use the boxes and other
> combs in the hive
> without any special measures.  We operate in areas where
> other beekeepers are
> nearby.

A couple of quick questions.

What do you estimate your losses would be if OTC were no longer effective
against AFB and there was no alternative treatment?

We now have bacteria that are resistant to even the antibiotic of last
resort (vancomycin) and scientists all over the world are warning about
antibiotic use ( http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/9812/htm/superbugs.htm ) how
long do you estimate it will be before there are no antibiotics that will be
effective against AFB?

With growing concerns about antibiotics in animal feed do you think it is
possible for beehives to become breeding grounds for resistant strains of
bacteria that while harmless to the bees, but could be dangerous to humans?
For example antibiotic resistant Staph germs that are transmitted to someone
after a sting.

Other information:

http://detnews.com/1999/health/9909/23/09220161.htm

http://www2.cdc.gov/ncidod/aip/Village_News/village_news.asp