From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:50:51 -0500
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the book reference. I think the author is a bit mistaken suggesting beekeepers have stopped trying to invent new hive designs. I can think of at least half a dozen non-standard hives I have seen over the years - and that‘s just in this country.

However I do agree that great scientific progress can be made when people observe nature and adapt accordingly. Some of my favourite examples of this are L.L. Langstroth observing the bee space and building the movable frame hive, the inventor of the egg incubator realizing he/she had to turn the eggs periodically just like the chicken to get it to work and Mark Twain who reportedly noticed a donkey always had to raise it’s tail to bray so silenced the animal by tying a brick to the end of it’s tail.

Ted