From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:59:54 -0500
> How much does a bee weigh? Is it a dead and dry bee? or is it a live and full of nectar one?

On presumes a live bee, but not with a load of nectar or pollen.  Dead bees can absorb moisture over the short term, and will be heavier, but everyone knows that dead bees on a bottom board quickly dehydrate to a nearly weightless state.

The rule of thumb for package bees has been 3500 to 4000 bees per pound, so 7700 to 8800 bees per kg, so 114 to 130 mg per bee

Habro used 115 mg (attached), and Meikle used 128 mg (also attached), so we have a rare case of agreement among beekeepers and the research community.