From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:40:19 -0700
Jim Fischer wrote:

> Does "actively foraging" mean "right now", "today",
> or "this week"? The problem is that different plants
> put out nectar and different times of day, and growers
> are famous for not knowing this.

Jim, yes, "actively foraging" means "right now".  There are
many weather and environmental situations when bees
will not be visiting a crop that is in bloom.  For example,
during years there is excessive cold and overcast during
the bloom period in Feb-March, bee pollination of California's
almonds is relatively poor.

Likewise in mid-summer throughout the USA, there are days
of heavy overcast when pollinators will not forage even if
winds are calm and the ambient temperature is warm.

The wording of the Assail label gives growers the option of
spraying during bloom when the bees are not actively foraging.
If I was a grower, I would appreciate that option.

Of course, if the environmental conditions change quickly
and the bees are out foraging by the time the grower has
his spray rig set to go, then the grower would need to abort
or be in violation of the label.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.