From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:46:05 -0400
I have used Strachan NWC queens for 10 years. They winter very well and are good honey producers.

Plenty of chalkbrood though the last 2 years, in fact its my biggest problem since I moved to oxalic
acid and a shake and bake strategy for foulbrood control (shake into new equipment by June 1st and
burn the old equipment).

 When you talk to them you never come away with a feeling that they are selecting for anything other
then egg laying. I'm making different plans for my future queen needs. They have had 2 tough years
of spring weather and the owners husband also passed away in 2004. But times change and so do
my needs.

I also agree with Mike Palmer that the Mn hygenic queen does not winter well at least here in MN.
That statement though does not mean they are not an excellent strain of honeybee for honey
production, mite, chalkbrood or foulbrood control.  I am hearing increasingly more reports though of
hot MN hygenic queens mated in Texas and other southern locations so buyer beware of queen
breeder locations that are AHB infested.