From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 07:13:50 -0400
  Bees in the northern Champlain valley are the strongest I've seen in
years for April 18. Three box broodnests full of bees from top to
bottom. Most still heavy enough with feed. Apples should be starting by
the end of the month. Everything seems two weeks early.

What to think? Who knows. We're working by the blooms and not by the
calendar date...so we started supering yesterday. Dandelions are opening
and it's time.

2010 was very similar. Two to three weeks early. Bees very strong at
dandelion bloom. Good honey year. I think the biggest issue we face at
this time, in the valley, is the lack of moisture. The bees are there,
the plants look in good shape, but we had better get the rain we need.
The biggest issue we'll face later in the season...varroa mite factories
in the boomers.

Mike