From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:56:39 -0400
On 10/26/2010 6:59 PM, Bob Harrison wrote:
>> 1. Commercial beekeepers don't want them.  They want highly productive
>> stock
>> which is proven in their management system.

The pure vsh stock was pretty poor. Tough to keep the breeder queens
without adding brood. The daughters were better. Now, with the carnixvsh
crosses to select from and  vsh drones in all the yards, I'm seeing good
patterns and less dwv. Your bees don't have to be pure vsh to have
positive results. I believe Spivak says 25-30% is enough. I find overall
my bees are productive with 100+ average in northern Vermont.
Mike