From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 20:46:58 PDT
---------------Original Message---------------

Hello Conrad,

yes, this honey is called "Tannenhonig" (fir tree honey, especially
silver fir tree honey). The "full" pound (500 g) would cost sometimes up
to 20 DM = 13 US$. The bees gather the dew from "animal blossoms", two
sorts of small animals on the trees, we call them "Lecanien" and
"Lachniden", which can often live only in cooperation with forest ants.
I never noticed a turpentine taste, but of course we drink that seldom if
ever.

The other stuff, often called "Tannenspitzenhonig" (fir tips honey) is no
honey, but a sort of syrup, made out of young, light green tips of firs
boiled in water with plenty of sugar.

Regards,
R.E.Bahr
NISI APES FINIS

Dear Bee-liners,

                I'm afraid this discussion on the best/worst honey is too
tempting not to contribute.  As far as many here in UK are concerned the
finest honey (also indicated in the price)is moorland heather (Calluna
vulgaris) honey.  This honey has a high protein content which has the effect
of not crystallising but forming a thixotropic gel.  The honey can only be
removed from the combs by scraping or with a press.  In the jar, air bubbles
cannot rise but remain suspended in the gel giving a beautiful sparkling
appearance.  The taste and aroma are quite unique and cannot be described.
When the heather nectar flow is on (August) the scent of the apiary(Bee-yard)
at night is exotic.  Several US/Canadian friends inc. some experienced
beekeepers admit to its superiority when they have sampled it. The nearest
equivalent honey, I'm told, is Manuka honey from New Zealand which is also
thixotropic.  Both these honeys are also reputed to have strong aphrodisiac
qualitiies!  Unfortunately they are both expensive and in short supply.

        The only bad honey is overheated honey.

We do not have much "Fir tree honey" in UK.  We call it Honeydew honey.  I
like Rudolph's "Animal blossoms" description.  Honeydew here is the sweet,
sticky excretion from aphids feeding on the trees.  The bees will collect it
if there is not much else around.  Last summer was very hot here with hoards
of aphids on sycamore and lime (Linden/Bass).  A real problem if your car was
parked underneath!  The honey was much darker than usual and has a strong
flavour reminiscent of aniseed, or liquorice maybe.  (Verbal descriptions of
taste are impossible!)  Probably there was a high honeydew content.

Best wishes to all,

Glyn Davies, Ashburton, Devon. UK