From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:27:39 -0400
Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:
> Fluvalinate does not explain bee losses by organic beekeepers, and the
> number of these beekeepers reporting sudden bee losses has increased  dramatically
> this fall/winter.

I am on your side in this and agree. Which is why I said, IMO, there are two schools of CCD east coast and west
coast. They are not distinct, as there are several on the east coast who have not bought into pesticides as the
culprit. I do not think it is either. My personal opinion, and that is all it is, is we have a combo of mites
and something else, and the something else is probably nosema but can also be KBV, IAPV (which may be a varaint
of KBV), nutrition and a variety of other know problems, all of which can kill without mites.

The problem with CCD is that there are some clear cases and there are some not so clear. For example - someone
could have had high mite loads, treated off label but not knowing they had a different stereoisomer- the label
only says fluvalinate-, killed the mites but then, with the different formulation, lost the bees. Any inspection
after the bee loss would have shown a very low mite load but with CCD symptoms, especially no robbing and bees
not feeding. Yet the real culprit was the off label treatment.

I repeat again, how fortunate (and that is understating it) we are to have you posting, from time to time to
help keep us on course. Your posts are greatly appreciated, and thank you.

Bill Truesdell (please do not confuse me with facts when my mind is made up)
Bath, Maine