Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:27:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:
> Fluvalinate does not explain bee losses by organic beekeepers, and the  
> number of these beekeepers reporting sudden bee losses has increased  dramatically 
> this fall/winter.

I am on your side in this and agree. Which is why I said, IMO, there are two schools of CCD east coast and west 
coast. They are not distinct, as there are several on the east coast who have not bought into pesticides as the 
culprit. I do not think it is either. My personal opinion, and that is all it is, is we have a combo of mites 
and something else, and the something else is probably nosema but can also be KBV, IAPV (which may be a varaint 
of KBV), nutrition and a variety of other know problems, all of which can kill without mites.

The problem with CCD is that there are some clear cases and there are some not so clear. For example - someone 
could have had high mite loads, treated off label but not knowing they had a different stereoisomer- the label 
only says fluvalinate-, killed the mites but then, with the different formulation, lost the bees. Any inspection 
after the bee loss would have shown a very low mite load but with CCD symptoms, especially no robbing and bees 
not feeding. Yet the real culprit was the off label treatment.

I repeat again, how fortunate (and that is understating it) we are to have you posting, from time to time to 
help keep us on course. Your posts are greatly appreciated, and thank you.

Bill Truesdell (please do not confuse me with facts when my mind is made up)
Bath, Maine

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2