From:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:53:04 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24 February 1999 20:06
Subject: Re: Benefits of varroa floors

>So, I am asking the inventive enquiring minds here on BEE-L if they think
>I could somehow eliminate the screen -- or greatly simplify the screens.

>Allen

Hi,

There is commercially available a small tray with a screen over it which can
be slipped in on the floor board for use as a varroa screen.

This or something like it could be easily made up for use in a commercial
operation and inserted and removed by unskilled persons.

On the use of screens is the disadvantage that unless the paper insert
covers the whole area of the screen, removing the paper will not remove the
wax-moth larva which will breed happily protected from the Bees.

At the moment in Ireland, the use of the screens could well be only in
Spring and Fall in conjunction with an acaricide to test for the presence of
the mite.

When it is found then use without acaricide will allow of a natural
mortality count, and thus by using the calculator referred to last year the
total population can be discovered and the period before treatment
determined. As you should not treat with acaricides when there is a honey
flow on, you can really only treat Fall and Spring, this being so testing
between these two seasons is not of much benefit.

HOWEVER, the benefits available by using the screen as a ventilated floor
means that I will probably keep the screen on and place the floor and paper
on at times when I want to test.

Ruary rudd