From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:40:57 -0600
> >I have a question. One of the purposes of the use of smoke is to
> >confuse or mask pheromone communcation between bees so that an
> >agitated bee can not warn its fellows. Do not essential oils have
> >the same property ? If so has anyone noticed nice peaceful bees
> >when using these compounds ?
>
> So is my notion that the bees think: "Smoke! Smoke! It's a bush
> fire! Save the honey!" and then, being comfortably fat with the
> honey, don't feel like stinging, is that too fanciful to be true?

Pretend you are in your house and suddenly a large amount of dense
smoke comes into the room and you are forced to breathe it for a few
moments .  Then the air clears.

Do you think that at that moment you are going to be thinking about
attacking anyone or much of anything except getting your bearings,
breathing and choking and your watering eyes?

I should imagine that it might be somewhat similar for bees.  Of
course we cannot see them cough or blink, but we can see that they are
disorganised and demotivated.

Of course since bees are prompted by pheremones, the question of
confusing chemical cues comes into the picture, but I tend to think
the major effect of smoke is pretty simple and obvious.

Strong scents can overpower our senses and I should think that --
until there is a chance to become accustomed to them -- that strong
aromas will cause bees to have trouble recognising more subtle
smells.

I really don't particularly  notce bees gorging themselves after being
smoked, although all the books seem to agree that  they do.  Has
anyone actually bothered to confirm this phenomenon?

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>