From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 20:26:53 -0500
>From: Greg Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
>To: ALBANY.EDU <BEE_L@CNSIBM>
>Date: Wednesday, February 18, 1998 5:32 PM
>
>This season will be my first as a beekeeper. I have constructed my hives,
>ordered my bees, and am attempting to get everything in order for spring.
>I have a couple questions I hope someone can help me with.
>First as all my equipment (hives, frames etc.) is new, what problems will I
>encounter using all new foundation in my frames versus drawn out comb.

Hi Greg

Since you are new at beekeeping, you don't have drawn comb.  With foundation,
all you need is a good nectar flow or heavy feeding, and the bees will draw it out.
Because of this, this year you may not get a large surplus because some of the
nectar will be used to make wax.  Perhaps other more experienced people will
offer some additional points.

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 10 colonies and counting