Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:43:07 EST
In a message dated 12/6/99 6:42:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< > Aaron said "Knapweed produces later in the
 > season in upstate NY, around the beginning of September (I don't think the
 > season in Nova Scotia is a full month behind upstate NY) and knapweed
 honey
 > is more medium-dark with no greenish hue."
 >
 > Aaron, is your reference knapweed or knotweed?

 Yes, I stand corrected.  Indeed I confused my knapweed with knotweed.

 Aaron Morris - thinking this knot head needs a nap! >>

    C'n I add to the confusion?

    Knapweed (more poetically called star thistle) is a very fine light
honey, that is good enough to frequently and fraudulently be sold as sourwood.

   Knotweed, (because of it's jointed stems) is also called bamboo, or
Japanese bamboo, though it is not a true bamboo. It is a broadleaf plant that
is a cousin to buckwheat, and could be called a mild buckwheat honey (very
nice).  It is common along the Susquehenna River flood plain, where it tends
to force out all other vegetation, and can produce big crops in August.

    I am surprised by the reference to a greenish hue in knotweed honey, as I
would call it a rich brown.  Is there some purple loosestrife in the greenish
honey referred to above?

Dave Green       Hemingway, SC   USA
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Unique Y2K gifts for your pollination customers, and gardening friends:
http://members.aol.com/PotGold/