From:
Peter Dalby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:23:44 +0100
Paul wrote on the subject of wasps under his beehive roofs  I have replied
direct to him but thought others may be interested in my thoughts.

           He is not many miles north of  my bees in hertfordshire. I have
learnt over the last 20 years or so to expect queen wasps to be under hive
roofs during winter. If you go round and kill them all more will often
appear after the next spell of warm weather. Whilst wasps cause beekeepers a
lot of trouble in late summer and early autumn it is worth remembering that
they do have a purpose in natures great scheme:- They are great scavengers
eating huge numbers of caterpillars and other insects earlier in the season.
These insects may if not checked reduce the potential nectar yeild of plants
that they feed on, thereby possibly reducing eventual honey crop Nothing is
ever as simple as it may appear to be in nature.
        R.O.B. Manley in his book BEEKEEPING IN BRITIAN devotes 2 pages to
the problems of wasps publised in 1948
       Peter Dalby