From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 08:03:19 -0700
Waldemar
This assumes that the organic and un-organic producers'
costs are about the same.  Are they?  Organic farming is
costlier that big ag, hence their prices are higher.  I
don't know that organic beekeepers and farmers have a
higher profit margin.  Do they?

Reply:
I see difference, but to me the costs for un-organic
producer's costs are higher, much higher, though I am sure
others would argue differently. Also once changed over, to
me the costs for big agric would be smaller, giving higher
return and less work. Yes we have a higher profit margin
and easier to pull in in tight years and take it to the
wall.

continuing:
It would be grand if everyone went organic! :)  It's not
possible for most.  It's certainly not possible for me.
The 2-mile radius around my apiary would have to have only
organic forage.  That's an impossibility in my suburban
environment.

Reply:
Yes it would be grand if everyone went organic and all
treatments stopped into a beehive so one wouldn't want to
sort what is bought and sold like done today. As for the 2
mile radius in non- urban areas not so bad for bees can
sort and don't willingly forage that which they know is bad
nor return from same, however that assumes it's not in the
makeup of the plant which nowadays is getting worse that
can be carried back in the pollen mainly, to give hive
detrimental results later in out of mode, off season kills,
when the then stored pollen is eaten in brooding up, as
much as 1-2-3 years later FWIW. Put the two together here
like being in bed together and it's a no win for the bees
and our industry too!

Dee