From:
Mike Churchill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:54:39 -0500
At 01:54 PM 9/2/99 -0500, Barry Birkey wrote:
>Received a flyer from Mann Lake today called "Technical Update."  A 22" X
>17", single fold, four color with some very LARGE copy basically selling the
>new CheckMite+++ISI pest control strip.

<snipped hype about product>

>"+ICI-Treating varroa mites with Fluvalinate strips showed actual varroa
>population increase of 64%.
>
>"+ICI-Treating with Permethrin strips showed a 67% varroa mite reduction.
>
>"+ICI-Treating with Coumaphos strips showed a 92% varroa mite reduction.
>
>"+ICI-Treating with Formic Acid Gel packs showed a 26% varroa mite reduction."

<more snipping>

It seems to me that if several different approved, proven, and available
treatments are out there, the best approach would be to develop a rotation
scheme similar to those available for treating worms (fly larvae) in
horses.  By alternating between 2 or more treatments, resistance
development would be greatly delayed, since the pests would need to develop
resistance to both forms of treatment at once.  Otherwise, those mites (and
their descendents) that survive one type of treatment would likely be wiped
out by the second type.
Mike Churchill                | "The nice thing about standards is
[log in to unmask]  |  that there are so many to choose from"
http://www.netmechanic.com - Power Tools for Your Web Site
Link and HTML testing, Server Reliability Testing, Image Size Reduction