From:
awcannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:51:15 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Farrington/Bequia Canvas <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 28 August 1999 20:43
Subject: non-improving hive

> Hello all;
> I have two hives, both feral colonies obtained this April.  One hive is =
> doing very well; the other hive is a non-performer.
> The poor hive is working on only two full frames and will not expand.  =
> There is a queen and this is at least its second queen - I have seen the =
> new queen cells.  The newest queen is about six weeks old.

This sounds like a poor queen despite supersedure, could be the strain of
bees.
I suggest that you unite the two colonies to make one big strong one then
after overwintering them make yourself a nuc next year. Feral colonies may
not have thesame resistance to disease like hived ones. at least a
beekeepers bees will have been looked after hygenically (or should have
been)
albert.