From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:54:15 +0000
In message <0930E2E454AE4A3B8699B060BAB58DD0@office>, Peter Edwards
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>The local association are working to breed from the purest of the
>A.m.m. The Isle of Man is independent of the UK and they could
>therefore ban imports.

I understand from Robin Ratcliffe that this is already the case and has
been for a long time.

Grounds are that the island is (last I heard) still varroa free, and not
actually to do with bee genetics at all.

On other matter you brought me in on, I do have close on 1500 colonies
of A.m.m or, more accurately, near to A.m.m. No idea if anyone has any
more.

Takes four or five seasons for any imported stock to subside into the
general background of black bees, Any yellow or brown stripes in our
mainstream stocks are rather rare. In truth most of our stocks will have
a carnica minority in their genetics.

Have had the bees from Ireland. Had a set of mated laying queens (quite
a few) from Micheal and found them to be a mixed bag. The good were very
good indeed, but several just had no 'oomph'. Out of a sizeable number
we got only two were ultimately selected as suitable breeders. Gentle?
OK, but not greatly different from our better local stock. Two produced
workers with a yellow stripe.

Sorry to hear your name on the list of apologies at Symonds Yat on
Sunday.
--
Murray McGregor