From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:19:50 -0500
Tim writes:
I think a lot of stuff that gets banned over in North America/Europe ends up  in these sorts of places

Comment:

Persistent Organic Pollutants (Pops) can be found almost everywhere on the planet, in all of our bodies and in much of our food. In addition, because they spontaneously migrate towards the colder regions of the planet, POPs pose a critical threat to northern indigenous people, whose survival, health and well being depend on their traditional relationship with the ecosystem and the food it provides. Some of the most highly exposed populations are indigenous people living in polar regions far from major POPs sources. For example, the Inuit living on Baffin Island carry seven times as many PCBs in their bodies as people living in lower latitudes.

refs:

Michelle Allsopp and others, A RECIPE FOR DISASTER: A REVIEW OF PERSISTENT ORGANIC POLLUTANTS IN FOOD (Exeter, UK: Greenpeace Research Laboratories, March 2000). ISBN 90-73361-63-X. Available at www.greenpeace.org/~toxics/ under "reports."

Indigenous Environmental Network, "Indigenous Peoples and POPs" (Briefing paper for INC-4), February 2000; available at http://www.alphacdc.com/ien/pops_bonn_ien11.html. Also see "Drum Beat for Mother Earth: Persistent Organic Pollutants Threatening Indigenous Peoples," a video by the Indigenous Environmental Network and Greenpeace, 1999. Available from Greenpeace USA; phone 800-326-0959.

http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=1814