From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:13:17 -0500

> Providing there is a lage enough selection pressure and the benefits
> outweigh the costs, organisms mutate through natural selection. FACT.
> Any and all treatments to control "pest" populations
> represent a type of
> selection pressure. FACT.
> Because of its many benefits of bee safety, low residue
> profile, proven low
> mammalian toxicity profile etc etc  Apistan (or illegally
> Klartan/Mavrik)
> was and indeed still is the most popular hive treatment for varroa
> worldwide. Incredible selection pressure. FACT.

[cut]

> It is noone's fault that resistant varroa emerged, it is a
> natural process
> of evolution. The uncontrolled dosing did however greatly speed up the
> process.

I get a little confused on these evolution things. I always thought that
"mutation"
was a random event. Pressure then caused selection on the population. If the
mutation gave a
reproductive advantage then those that had the gene may survive and
reproduce better than
the ones without the gene.

If putting pressure on a population always causes it to become resistant I
do not understand how we got smallpox under control. You would have thought
that resistance would have emerged and a stronger version of the virus taken
over.

Come to think of it I cannot understand how extinction should happen as
often as it does. In most cases it is a long slow process with lots of
pressure on the populations.