From:
Tim Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:35:44 -0400
At 10:43 AM 8/1/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks for your info on baggie feeder practice. I presume that the slits you
>cut are on the top side of the baggies. Please advise if so.

        I took a cue from Frank Humphries on this subject also and had
        a Brushy Mtn catalog sent so I could see what they were selling.
        In it they confirm your presumtion that the slits ARE placed on the
        TOP of the bags.

>I strated my first one last week with punctures rather than slits and was
>amazes how quickly the bees accepted it.

        I'm excited to hear this but still have trouble visualizing the
        process. Do the bees come up into the super holding the baggies
        to take the syrup or does the syrup just gradually seep out and down
        into the hive? Can you re-use the slit baggies? Am I cheap or what?
        I plan to follow Frank's advise on using an excluder to support the
bags.
        Did you use that method or did you let them rest on the frame tops?

>In previous New England inters I have used 1 gallon containers In a deep
>super with lots of newspaper for interior insulation.

        In the past I have used 1 gal pails w/o insulation successfully
        up to Thanksgiving (11/25). Last year I switched to divison board
        feeders and was dis-satisfied. I think it had a lot to do with the
        early onset of cold temps in that long, cold winter (brrr!) The girls
        were unwilling to move out to the sides of the brood chambers to
        take the syrup from the feeders. Thankfully I left enough honey on
        for winter stores.

Tim Peters, Kirby VT
KirBee Apiary, Bear Bait Honey
I rather be flying!