From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:58:46 -0500
Hello All,
On CNN today is a label story out of Iowa. The story should be of great
interest to the local seller and also the environmentalist.

The proposed label change for Iowa (Label shown on CNN) shows a color method
to show the distance the product has traveled from harvest to consumer. The
first color is for a product produced within 60 miles. The most distant  I
believe is thousands of miles.

Of course big ag will fight this kind of label change which of course is
simply small ag looking for a label change which will point out the
advantages of a local product. Also a label which will verify a local
product.

Although the pushers of the new label are mainly local growers ( as shown in
the CNN piece) the local growers hope to get environmentalists ( deep
pockets) on board as
the label is a carbon footprint of the costs involved with bringing in a
food long distance.

Many on the list know I am always looking at the bottom line. Several years
ago in advance of higher fuel costs I began trading bee locations with Bell
Hill Honey. it simply did not make sense for us to cross paths with each
operation going deep into the others area to work yards. Through trading
yards both operations save many many miles per season. (let alone travel
time).

I eliminated yards down many miles of gravel and all yards are close to
blacktop roads and set in a T pattern from the main base. Took a few years
and knocking on a few doors with cases of honey but will be completed when I
move from the holding yard the three new yards.

bob