From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2018 07:42:09 -0800
I thought I'd share this info with the group. I've had a Broodminder Bluetooth hive monitoring system installed on one of my artificial swarm splits (discussed here and elsewhere) for the last week or so and it's interesting to see how the split colony (older queen with young brood and nurse & house bees) has been doing. I have wanted to see this system for a couple years but was too cheep to buy one (approx. $200) myself so my family got me one for my birthday! It's been interesting to watch! Here's some of the data.

The first graphs show outside temp (28 Low - 62 High deg) and hive weight (108 - 109 lbs) over the last few days. We've had some cold nights lately and I've seen a few brood tossed out onto the entrance by housekeeping bees because they were either mite infested or because the bees contracted the cluster at night to stay warm and couldn't cover all the brood thus killing a few brood. I'm going to be watching for the hive weight to start to rise for placing on stickies (honey supers).