From:
DONALD M CAMPBELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DONALD M CAMPBELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:33:10 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Harrison" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Concern about stings

> Karen,
>  Karen wrote:
> > I believe the problem to which Lloyd referred, is those that use the
> Epipen   when the only "symptoms" are a little pain, redness or swelling.
In
> these  cases, the added epinephrine could kill (with certain underlying
> conditions)  and will at least stress your system.

Hi all,

This Epi-pen stuff is really getting heavy!..

I am a beekeeper, a Pharmacist, an ex-medic and an Epi-pen carrier.
But not for bee stings.  I have a severe allergy to sesame seeds and all its
relatives (sesame oil, paste and other stuff used in fancy cooking).  So far
I have never used the Epi-Pen, because I have not gotten to the point where
my breathing was severely impaired, nor felt like passing out from
hypotension.
As soon as allergic symptoms show (itchy, flushing tightness in the mouth,
and that strange feeling that my head is going to explode) I drink an ounce
of liquid Benadyl, if it gets worse in 15 minutes another ounce. I also use
Medrol (Rx drug) tablets if real bad.
I always have the Epi-pen with me but would only use it when all else fails.
I'd try to make it to an emergency room first.
Don't get me wrong, if I couldn't breath or was passing out-I'd use it. Its
important, also, to go find someone to help you if you are having any
reaction. That someone can drive you, give you the shot if needed, call 911,
save your life, ect.
Hope this helps.

Bee well,

Don