From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:32:51 -0300
I am with Bob on this. If bees drown in feeder no point on keep on feeding.
Better to start a fresh, clean frames and boxes with Clorox. Drenching
might work but it is usually late and a waste of time/energy/resources.

Things that are not mention and could be part of the nosema problem.

If you truck  hives "at the wrong time" they defecate inside. Spores spread
into rest of population as they clean with proboscis. Same happens when you
smash bees, they clean the guts/liquids of dead bees and spores spread.
Probably similar with comunity/drum feeding if no proper floats are in
place.

Nosema is no problem by itself, but bad managment practises or some times
"reality" forces the mistakes. One can live with nosema if other factor are
controlled (varroa and nutrition as the main ones, agrotoxics are second
ones).

That is the case with hives I move to northen pollination (south for you up
north) when compared to the ones not trucked.

As I am forced by reality to move part of my hives when one shouldn't be
trucking them and cause I do not like using antibiotics/fumagilin I am very
keen on finding another product that works. As per now oregostim is doing
the trick.

I am afraid not much science behind my observation, but I am just a
beekeeper !!!

Second spring down south of Chile. Very complex and strange season this
one. We are facing late swarming. Interesting times to be living ...

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695
Gorbea - CHILE