Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:15:57 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Dr. Marion Ellis, U of Nebraska, has the best powdered sugar method that I've read about.  And that's a key word:  READ.  I can't say I've tried them all or even compared results.  For the alcohol wash, 300 bees is not that many bees to sacrifice from the greater population.  While I don't care to needlessly kill any bees, 300 is too small to lose sleep over.  Still, the powdered sugar roll is my preference since the bees regain their livelihood.

His method is to fill that jar with 300 bees, screw on the canning ring with the 8-mesh screen for a lid, add about a tablespoon of powdered sugar.  Roll the jar to coat the bees.  So far, not much different.

He sets the inverted jar on a piece of white paper, then it he lets it sit.  It is the aggravation of the powdered sugar that aggitates the bees.  It's the heat they generate that loosens the mites.  Now we're talking about a whole different technique.  He lifts the jar, shakes out the excess powdered sugar and sifts through the powdered sugar to count the mites.

The key is the heat generated by the aggitated bees that loosens the mites and gives a more accurate picture of the mite infestation.

Grant
Jackson, MO

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2