From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:25:57 -0500
Peter Edwards wrote:

> Let me ask: 'How many colonies in the US could live without the
> intervention and support (!) of beekeepers?'
All that would normally survive if they all swarmed.

Bees did pretty well for themselves for millions of years before man
caged them. To think that their survival is dependent on a beekeeper is
presumptuous.

All the beekeeper is doing is tending the zoo. The animals are still
wild. Your question could be turned by taking the Panda as an example.
Let one loose from the DC zoo and it would die quickly since there is
little bamboo in Washington.. Dung beetles, however, would have a field day.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                    *
* Help with data collection regarding Colony Collapse Disorder at www.beesurvey.com *