From:
Viktor E Sten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 17:09:47 -0400

Tim Sterrett wrote:
>    The bees are probably responding to the sweaty odors on the watch and,
>especially, on the watchband.

When the bees in my back yard get annoyed on my riding lawn mower they
attack the handle on the lever for lowering the cutter blades. This handle
sits on top of a 1 meter ~ 3 ft. long rod. Seen from the top the handle
looks like an eye with a 1/2" red round center and a 1/8" wide aluminium
ring around it. This seems to indicate that the bees sees the handle as
the eye of an attacker.

It would seem to me that Jan Templeman's bees sees his watch as an eye to
be attacked.

To tickle my curiosity further I think I will make  a couple of aluminium
buttons painted red in the center (yes I know them suckers are supposed
to be color impaired). Next time I encounter a cross hive I will then
see if the bees are inclined to attack the buttons rather than me. If this
does not work I could try mounting them on flimsy springs so they will
move a bit.

Viktor in Hawkesbury, Ontario.