From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:04:49 -0500
I'm grateful for the many suggestions that were made to help me eliminate
my rodent problem.  I like the idea of giving them a drink of pop and
watching them fizzle out.  I will pass all of your ideas on to the market
management.

Part of the problem is that this market contains many food stores and is
located in a port city where rats and mice are endemic.  Periodically the
city will have public campaigns to eliminate the souces of food. etc. When
this particular market had it's cats outlawed the story was picked up by
the national media.  Despite all the attention the problem persists.  That
is why I am looking for a maintenance-free way of keeping my honey shelves
mouse free.

I may be able to solve the problem by putting hinged, plexi-glass fronts on
the shelves.  The honey is at eye level but customers would need two hands
to get a jar.  Would this hurt sales?  Does anyone have experience in this
field?

I know minds can go into neutral when people are out shopping.  I once had
a friend send me a vat of leatherwood honey all the way from Tasmania.
Because of its unusual taste I decided to give it away as samples at the
fall fair.  I set it out in paper dixie cups with a sign saying 'Free
Samples - Tasmanian Leatherwood Honey'.  Further down the table I had more
dixie cups set out with a sign, 'Free Samples - Beeswax Hand Lotion'.  I
was stuck over at the observation hive gabbing away about bees, but noticed
that people were eating the hand lotion just as fast as the leatherwood
honey.  Then they would come to me and say, "That second honey was very
nice.  What's it from?".  I told them the palm tree.  Best regards, Ted

By the way, I've heard olive oil is good for releasing mice from sticky
boards if you want to reuse them - the sticky boards that is, not the mice.