Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 22:34:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
The discussion on AFB and antibiotics is very interesting but I think that it should be brought a step further.

I sure recognize that antibiotics have been useful so far in the control of AFB, mostly in North America.  But it would be amazing if the trend observed with most bacteria developing to various antibiotics would not extend sooner or later to the bacteria causing AFB.

I think from that from now on, it would be safer start designing new ways of controlling the disease (in North America).  Other beekeeping communities around the world have done so. I do not mean that OTC should not be used anymore but I think that it should be used as the only mean of control.  My point is that antibiotics are not the only possible approach to the problem. It is not a choice between treating with antibiotics and doing nothing (or burning).

What we need is an INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT approach.  This is what I have been working on since a few years within my own apiary.  I run 800 colonies and I benefit from a small government grant for that experimental approach.

This approach involves the following elements :

- the use of a preventive methods such as the early detection of diseased colonies by inspecting the brood nests (at least of week or non producing colonies) 

- minimizing the movement of brood frames between colonies. ( I do not equalize my colonies.)

- the inclusion of the hygienic behavior test in my breeding program (I am a queen breeder)

- the immediate transfer of diseased colonies on clean equipment (undrawn plastic frames)

- the sterilization of the contaminated hives parts with hot paraffin (wood parts) or a chlorinated water solution (for scraped plastic frames).  I am more than half way done with the replacement of my old wooden frames with plastic frames that are much easier to sterilize.  This is part of the experimental approach.

I would like to hear from people who have a certain experience with the use of chlorine for sterilizing bee equipment.

Jean-Pierre CHAPLEAU
[log in to unmask]
1282, rang 8, St-Adrien (QC)
Canada J0A 1C0
(819) 828-3396; fax: (819) 828-0357

ATOM RSS1 RSS2