From:
dANILO fONSECA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1993 11:17:50 EST
On Thu, 7 Jan 1993 13:42:08 -0500 <[log in to unmask]> said:
>PIRASSUNUNGA - SAO PAULO - BRASIL       DEAR OWNER
>        I'D LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT BEE VENOM (Apis mellifera).
>                -medical use

     Marcelo. I read a book written by a Soviet author (I think his name is
Ioirich) when I was in Brazil. I am not sure it has scientific validity
but the book has a lot of interesting information about medical use of the
products of the honey bee. I remember that there is even a proposed treatment f
or arthritis based upon increasing number of bee stings. Something like in the
first week of treatment the patient receiving one sting a day. In the next week
two stings a day and so forth, until you reach I guess 10 stings a day in the
last week. I proposed the drastic treatment for my mother-in-law who suffers
from Arthritis but she gently refused.
     The book also brings interesting information about "mel expresso" (express
honey), i.e. honey produced from sugar syrup with selected components. Ioirich
mentions an area in a former Soviet Republic (Azherbaijan?) where, according
to him, people usually reach the age of 100 and beyond. The reason for the
alleged longevity is related to beekeeping practice in the region. I think
the Portuguese title is "Abelhas, Farmacias Aladas" (Honeybees: Winged Drugstor
es) and edited in Moscou.

>        I'M A STUDENT (IC)  FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF SAO PAULO
>BRAZIL, ZOOTECNIA (ANIMAL SCIENCE).
>ADRESS: MARCELO EDUARDO KORNFELD - CENTER OF BEE RESEARCH - CAZUSP
>        CP 23 CEP 13630-000 PIRASSUNUNGA/SAO PAULO/BRASIL
>        E-MAIL <[log in to unmask]>

Um abraco,
Danilo Correa da Fonseca Filho, Washington, D.C.