From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:58:41 -0500
On 21 Jul 97 at 11:30, Vince Coppola wrote:

> winter as well. I have'nt made measurements but my informal
> observation is that the insulated, controlled ventilation hives
> winter more consistantly and consume less honey. The main reason for
> ventilation is moisture elimination. The amount of moisture is
> related to the amount of honey consumed and that is related to how
> much energy is needed to maintain cluster temperature. When we know
> the proper balance we will probably be wintering is single story
> hives. Right Barry?

There is one keeper out West of us who winters all his hives in
single story hives. I certainly won't risk it, no safety factor.
        As to ventilation, we have spent many years testing various
ventilation and wintering ideas and since we marketed our Mod Kit
have had numerous reports of 80-100% more hive products. As I am
prone to repeat....Ventilation works.
        Strange how we keep reinventing the wheel. In the 1850's both lower
and upper ventilation were discussed in great detail, and it was
decided then to be beneficial.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171