From:
Ben Pollard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:10:52 -0600
    Start out by saying hello as I am new to the list and to beekeeping,
been lurking about a month and the information on the list is great.
    I just purchased the hives and equipment from a local beekeepers
family, he passed away last november. I got enough to make up 3 hives I
think. I obtained 6 deeps, 6 mediums, 18 shallows, frames, a few bottom
boards and stands, a few covers, a smoker, viel, an extractrator, and
assorted other equipment. Hopefully I have enough to get off to a good
start.
    My question is in regards to mites, the previous owner lost his bees
two years in a row due to mites. Do I need to replace the foundation or
can I make it mite free. I will have to replace some due to it being old
and falling apart. My inclination is to replace all the foundation and
scorch all the wood surfaces to assure it mite and disease free. I am
just trying to assure I get off to a good, healthy start.
    Now I just have to convince the dog to share the backyard!
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
--
Ben Pollard