Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:58:04 -0400
> Would you share your mixtures in understandable amounts, how much syrup you
> are mixing with ml's of EO's, and the Latin name of the EO since there are
> so many Oregano's and Thyme's.

"Aye, there's the rub. "

Long answer-

If it is 100% pure, then .06% Thymol is about .6 ml per liter. The problem
with that level of concentration is you do not know the long term effects as
the study did not go beyond the larval stage. That number is also very close
to LD-50, so the actual safe concentrations are not known, and I would be
irresponsible to give any number.

Also, as you noted, not all EOs are from the same source nor the have same
concentrations.

I have not used them so do not know where there is a reputable source, but
my guess is from beekeeping suppliers, since at least they might have some
directions with their products. Remember, however, that the only long term
study used thymol. The short term one had both Oregano and Thymol  as doing
something (my term as the long term results were not looked at). But Oregano
EO has Thymol in it. Most of the EOs used today are Lemongrass and
Spearmint, neither of which were studied and might (probably, in my opinion)
do nothing except act as a feeding stimulant. That also may explain their
benefit as they are mostly used commercially in patties, so you are getting
protein to the bees. The EOs may do nothing to help control disease. Only
thymol can scientifically claim that.

The Sammatero study used chemicals from supply houses which allowed them to
have pure starters and controllable concentrations.

Now the short answer-

I have no idea.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine