From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 22:27:23 -0500
> any suggestions?

I would remove the queens from the aggressive hives.
Use proper protection and smoke.
The aggressive hive will be aggressive for awhile unless you depopulate
which is a good idea but not sure about using soap on my comb if worth
saving. making weak nucs from the aggressive hive seems to work for Texas
beekeepers.
We have not had a positive AHB find yet in Missouri to my knowledge but
yours could be the first.
Leaving your bees to survive and raise queens for a decade could have
brought out the African genetics.
Selection from your hives and raising queens each year would *in my opinion*
prevented the problem.
Actually AHB genetics dominating is what researchers said would happen in
feral colonies but not what I have observed.
researchers said African genetics would always emerge.
You will never know for sure the source of the AHb genetics ( if really AHB)
but I suspect as you do Texas.
.Peter makes valid points. remove the aggressive bees.
"Thinking about your situation"
I would imagine if you have not looked at the hives in years the comb would
be almost impossible to remove from the boxes. I have went through hives
left alone for many years ( not mine) and frames pull apart.
hive bodies waxed together. Working hives glued together really pisses bees
off and once stinging starts stinging spreads. Mashed bees cause problems.
reworking 12 hives takes time and patience but certainly not a big deal for
an experienced beekeeper but shaking bees on foundation might be considered
as your honey flow is starting.
Now is the perfect time to get the mess cleaned up as bees accept change
best went nectar and pollen is coming in.
Are the boxes from the rest of the hives still usable?
Many ways to put your bees on different comb.
I do not keep aggressive bees around.
Good luck with the church!

bob