From:
Kathy Tate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 22:32:39 -0500
Hello fellow beekeepers,
Today I contacted the Texas Health Department and found someone that
could answer some of my questions about the rules regarding the sale of
honey and the sanitary requirements involved.

I was told that in Texas honey is a raw agricultural product until it is
extracted and bottled at which time it becomes a manufactured food
product.  Once it is bottled and labeled, you can not give it away or
sell it without a permit (I was so speechless, I failed to ask whether
you could legally give it away without a label).

When you put a picture of a bee, a picture of a skep or hive, or the
word "honey" on the label, it can contain NO pollen, wax, or bee
"parts".  I asked about comb honey and was told that if it had the word
"honey" on the label, it could contain no comb because it is not PURE
honey and that the wax weighs less than honey and since honey is sold by
weight, it could not legally be sold.  The only way bee pollen could be
sold would be as pure pollen.

I asked if there was any provision for the person having only a couple
of hives and was assured that Texas has no "cottage" or kitchen
exemption.

When we finally got to the sanitary requirements, those were similar to
those of a restuarant (or dairy farm).  The facility would be inspected
probably once a year, possibly more often.  One "good" thing, if you
sell less than $10,000 in honey per year, the permit fee is only $25.

I realize I could have misunderstood or misinterpreted some of the
things I was told and encourage anyone interested to call the
manufactured foods division at the health department in Austin
(512-719-0243).

Now, other than contact my state representatives, does ANYONE have any
suggestions on how to get this changed.  If you do, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks!
Kathy and Johnny Tate
Stephenville, TX