From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:29:43 +0000
Hi All,
I was interested in the letters form Alden Marshall and William Hughes
about the temperature at which bees will fly.  I am afraid that I am
only receiving "Best of Bee" at the moment and apologize if my comments
have been repeated.
It seems to me that the intensity of light has more to do with when bees
fly than the temperature.  I have never seen bees flying at night
(perhaps this is only because I have not looked!!)  but I have seen them
flying often in sub zero temperatures.  Why should they fly in such cold
conditions when there are no natural food for them?  Can I suggest that
they may be looking for carrion!  I have occasionlly had to cut up a
freshly killed deer during freezing weather and, if it is sunny, then
there is usually a number of bees attracted to the carcass.  Food for
thought!!  Sorry.

--
Harry
Scotland