From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:13:32 -0400
Could do.  It'd certainly be worth a try, anyway.  Richard Taylor likes to
clean frames by dipping in a hot lye solution, and then hosing them off.
The lye does a good job of dissolving the wax.  Maybe someone else has
tried this(?)  I have put frames with most of the wax scraped off in an
oven (not in the house!), stacked up over a big disposable aluminum baking
pan, @ a couple hundred degrees or so.  In a short time the wax would melt
and drip down.  An added benefit was that the propolis would be very
brittle after cooling, and would scrape off with ease. Of course, the wax
is flammable, so anything like this would require a good deal of caution.

One interesting idea Charles Mraz had was to make his cut-comb frames with
two-piece top bars (not just split down the center leaving the ends intact,
like Kelley's).  One half of the top-bar was nailed into the end bars, as
usual, and the other was removable, not nailed.  The c/c foundation was
sort-of pinched between the two halves when the free half was pushed into
place.  Cleaning the frames with this type of setup would be easy, as you'd
just remove the free part of the top-bar, and run the hive tool down the
length of each part to free it of wax, foundation ridge, etc.  It sure
would speed up the preparation required for getting the supers back on
again.

The wedge-type top bars are not so easy to clean, unless you take the wedge
out every time.  Even then, cut-comb foundation can slip out once you
re-install it, as the wedge doesn't afford much material to "bite" the
sheet.  Some folks bend the top of the sheet over to help make it more
secure.