Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 14:28:42 -0500
The vorroa mite has moved into and spread across Canada for a little
while now.  Signs of chemical resistance is showing up across the
praries.  We are going through the same problems and treatment
procedures that the southern state beekeepers had gone through a
long while ago.  Just this summer my neighbouring beekeeper had
accedently found a tolerance/resistance to his fluvalinate treatment in
his hives.  It was on some of his donated test hives, so he luckly found
his problem before it got too far out of hand and is now treating his
hives with checkmite.  This has opened my eyes a little.  I have mites
in my hives and have not found resistance yet, but likely soon.  It is just
a matter of time before treatments will not be effective in my hives.  My
question to you southerners is, Now that the mites are tolerant to your
treatments (Apistan, Checkmite), how do you manage the mites in
your hives?  I don't mean hobby beekeeper mite treatment methods,
but want to know how you larger commercial opperators handle the
problem.

Ian