Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:49:43 -0600
Ken Coyle wrote:

> The farm where I have my honey bees is getting a couple of horses.  Has
> any one heard of honey bees bothering horses?
>
> --
> Ken Coyle
> If you can't fix it with duct tape, why bother?
> http://www.golden.net/~coyle    *****Note: New web page location.*****
Ken,
   Horses are nosey.  Put a fence around the bee hives with enough
distance between the bee hive entrance and the fence to where the bees
will not see the horses as a threat.  If the bees attach the horses, the
horses if stung in numbers in the head and neck could die from
restricted breathing.  There are cases of horses being killed by bees,
but only where the horse was fenced in and couldn't get away from the
bees.  There fore it is wise to fence the horse away from the hives for
both the horses safty as well as the hives safty (a paniced or playing
horse could knock over a hive).

Carol Scott
Critterden farm
Lipan, Tx.