From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:33:35 -0400
We are fortunate enough to have Jennifer Berry of UGA lab talk at our
bee association meetings.  The last talk we got a preview of some
unpublished data from some of this CAP money and other sources.  I'm a
biologist and have seen the lab and this is as good as it is possible to
get bee science given the funds available.

The bottom line was that there is a lot of contaminated comb out there,
even when chemicals hadn't been used in the hives tested. Also,
performance of the bees is correlated to some contaminant levels.  This
is just one tiny piece of the huge puzzle, and the testing for
pesticides is very very expensive.  The published data will be very
informative, I believe, and at least points to one of the stressors we
can do something about.

Carolyn in SC

Peter L Borst wrote:
> Several people have suggested less scapegoating and more looking for answers.

  Keith Delaplane is on the front line of getting real solutions to real
problems. He writes:

>> I am heavily involved in one example of this new level of federal funding

-- the Managed Pollinator Coordinated Agricultural Project (CAP).