From:
"Alyn W. Ashworth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:26:00 +0100
My limited experience has shown that a gradual reduction in spacing as
comb is buit gives efficient use of supers together with regular comb
and easy uncapping. I have found that putting in foundation at 8-spacing
gives lots of brace comb, wavy surfaces to the comb, and difficult
uncapping with lots of wasted wax that the bees have spent much energy
producing but which I have to take away from them.

The technique (which I was taught by a much more experienced bee-keeper)
is as follows :-

I use a combination of removable plastic spacers on the ends of the
frames (these used to be called metal ends). I have short and long ones,
so I can vary the spacing between frames to give 10 frames (all short
spacers), 9 frames (alternate long and short), or 8 frames (all long).

When I start with a new super, the frames have foundation in and I use
all short spacers. Next year, after the first uncapping, the cells are
not very deep, so I use alternate spacers. After the second uncapping
the cells are nice and deep, and I use wide spacers all through.

Obviously, I have to be flexible depending on how the individual combs
have developed, but I just keep a few of each size of spacer handy.
--
Alyn W. Ashworth
Lancashire & North-West Bee-Keepers' Association. UK.