From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 22:32:00 -0400
James Fischer wrote:

>Here's something that may address your concerns, taken from
>the MAAREC FAQ on CCD:
>http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/FAQ/FAQCCD.pdf
>
>"Feeding: The practice of feeding was common to most of the
>beekeepers interviewed and surveyed who experienced CCD.
>Some feed HFCS, others sucrose however, some did not feed."

This does not address my concern, because as I said, although
you apparently don't believe it, I am not suggesting that this
is the cause of CCD.  I chose the subject line of this thread
very poorly it seems.  I am saying that there might be some
connection, but it certainly is not my major concern since
I have not experienced CCD to my knowledge.  My concern, is, as
I stated, that I can not find any test results looking for
possible residues in corn syrup.  Some test results is what
will address my concerns.  You have impressed me many times
with your ability to source information on the internet and
other places.  Can you source any test results?   How many tons
of this are fed to bees every year;  surely somebody is testing?

>"Symptoms [of Imadocloprid poisoning, as seen on sunflowers
>in France] are..."
>
>1) "...trembling, rotation on place, curving of the abdomen
>   and a non-stop rubbing of legs together..."
>
>Not reported as a symptom of CCD, but a good match
>for what one sees with an overt Imadocloprid kill.

No argument:  Please note the sunflowers had high levels of
imidacloprid (the seed was treated with it, and it was intended
to turn the plant toxic to insects)

>2) "...Finally bees do not come back at the hive resulting in
>depopulation of adult bees and a desequilibrium in the
>ratio [of] brood/adults..."
>
>This is close enough to call a "match" with CCD symptoms.

And this is the symptom of lower levels of poisoning.

>3) "...cares to the brood are neglected and it cools off..."
>
>This may or may not be a symptom of CCD, but it makes sense
>that without enough bees, brood would be lost due to chilling.

Chilling and other brood problems such as chalkbrood and EFB
will naturally result from depopulation.

>4) "...and the colony dies after a few >>>MONTHS<<< after the
>beginning of intoxication."
>
>Nope, not a match at all, as if it took months for a colony to die,
>beekeepers would have had time to notice and reoort the trembling
>and so on mentioned in point (1). Further, it is known that CCD seems
>to depopulate colonies that "looked fine" only a short time ago, so
>we know that it is not taking months, we are talking weeks or days.

I know you pride yourself on your logic, so please consider that point
4 is inconsistent with point 2.  If a colony has a lot of brood and few
bees it cannot be collapsing over months.  Brood does not last that long.
Several frames of brood with a handful of bees is the symptom of rapid
collapse.  However, the queen could survive for a long time with a few
young bees.  The trembling threshold does not need to be reached for
the confusion threshold to cause depopulation.

Stan