From:
Vincent Earthboy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:21:52 -0500
Bee-L

Whereas many of us on this list are in favor of “saving the environment” whatever it might mean to each and different individuals, I find speciel-prejudice—such as separating honey bees from bumble bees, etc.—is a self-defeating myopic environmentalism.  This exclusionist view, I have already expressed in the archive a while back, stands on a rather shaky ground.  But allow me to reiterate my reasoning:

1)	How long does it take for a “foreign” or “invasive” species to become a native one?  And according to whose judgment and why?
2)	If this “invasive” species had once lived in one of the geological epochs on earth eons ago, is that species “foreign” or native?  We are talking about time span here.  I remember hearing an ancestral horse roaming in America long before the modern horses brought by Conquistadors.  Are they native or not?
3)	Pray tell who defines what is “native” according to whose definition and based on what authority and criteria?  In other words, what gives you the patented right to define what is and what is not “native”?
4)	Granted that the Pilgrims brought honeybees only a few hundred years ago, and therefore, honeybees are an “invasive” species, then can we argue, using the same logic, that all Whites, Blacks, and Yellows in America now “non-natives” or “invasive” species?  (Ask American Indians about immigrant problems)
5)	Why then these “non-natives of America” are willing to die protecting a concept like democracy and the Constitution?  Surely these people are not natives and they don’t belong here, do they?
6)	I agree that nothing has harmed the environment more than human animals.  It then stands to reason that we should all pack and go back home to our original countries, and leave America pristine.

I will vote for that.

	Yoon