From:
Bob Billson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Billson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 09:56:40 -0400
Hi all!

I have another first-year newbie question. :)

I am confused.  I have read conflicting recommendations for the number of
frames to have in the brood chambers.

With 9 frames, the bees supposedly have slightly more space and there is
less chance of injuring the queen when removing frames.  The downside is
supposed to be less room for brood and winter stores.

With 10 frames, the opposite holds.  There is supposedly more room for
brood and winter stores, but greater chance of injuring the queen.

Do 9 frame significantly increase the risks of swarming due to
overcrowding?  Or is the risk, if any, worth it because the queen is less
like to get hurt?

With 9 frames, don't the bees tend to 'glue' the frames together with more
bridge comb.  If that is the case, isn't the queen just as likely to get
hurt getting the frames apart?

I've already got one super for cut comb honey on my two colonies.  Should
I just not worry about anything until after the supers come off, if at
all?

What's a newbie to do? :)  Thanks for the advice.

        Bob
--
Bob Billson, KC2WZ                                email: [log in to unmask]
  (\       MS-DOS, you can't live with it.  You can live without it.    /)