Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:12:35 -0700

>>  --were you in that hive during that time?
No

>>If your honey flow just shut off, bees will sometimes roar more in response
to smoke
Possibility, but I try to keep smoke to a minimum if used at all.

>>  ...could the queen have mated with an Africanized drone... ?
Locally produced queen, no reported AFB in Alabama yet, fortunately.  Bees weren't aggressive even when mowing and weed eating around them.  Just kind of runny on the combs.

Thanks for presenting these possibilities Randy.  Will keep a close eye on the colony and see what transpires.

Mike in LA